If housing disrepair has damaged my health and belongings – can I sue my landlord?

If housing disrepair has damaged my health and belongings

As a tenant, you have the right to live in a property that is in good condition and free from defects. It is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure that their rental property is maintained to a reasonable standard of repair. Unfortunately, not all landlords take their responsibilities seriously and this can result in a very uncomfortable experience for the tenant.

In this article, we will identify the rights of tenants and how they can make housing disrepair claims against their landlord.

What is housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair refers to a rented property that fails to meet the minimum ideal living conditions and needs repairs to make it suitable, safe, and comfortable for habitation by tenants.   You have the right to live in a property free from defects such as leaks, mould, damp, vermin, insect infestations and drainage problems which can be very uncomfortable and even dangerous.

Landlord’s responsibility to repair

It is the landlord’s responsibility to repair faulty areas in the rented property and ensure that the tenant does not suffer any damages to their health or property as a result of this disrepair.

The landlord must ensure that the property is structurally in good condition, has a working heating system, is free from damp and mould, has adequate sanitation equipment, and has safe access to basic facilities including electricity, gas and water. Furthermore, the landlord must ensure that the property is free from vermin and insect infestation, and the drainage channels should also be working properly to avoid flooding issues.

Can I sue my landlord for property damage?

Yes, you can. If you are a tenant and your landlord has failed to make the requested repairs, you can sue your landlord and demand compensation for disrepair and damages you have suffered as a result of negligence. It is important to seek the help of an expert housing disrepair solicitor who can give you guidance on how to make your disrepair claim and prove landlord negligence.

Our housing disrepair solicitors are highly experiences when it comes to housing disrepair claims, and we are ready to fight for your health and safety. SilverOak Solicitors – personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services will ensure that you receive the maximum compensation for your claim and will also ensure that the necessary repairs are carried out in line with your tenancy agreement.

How to prove landlord negligence

In order to claim compensation from your landlord, you first need to prove landlord negligence. You need to demonstrate that you are living in a home that is in a state of disrepair, that your landlord has failed to restore your home to a good state of repair despite making several complaints, and that you have suffered damage to either your health, belongings or finances as a result of your landlord’s negligence.

What can I claim for?

When making claims, you can claim for damage to belongings, personal injury, and any other form of inconvenience. For example, if you are seeking compensation to cover disrepair as a result of leaks, faulty electrical appliances, mould, damp etc, you can also claim for any belongings that have been damaged as a result of these faults as well as any injury or ill health also suffered as a result of the disrepair.

The compensation awarded will depend on the severity of the damage to your belongings and your health. Your settlement figure will also take care of any financial losses incurred as a result of the damages suffered. Furthermore, any other form of inconvenience can also be claimed for if, for example, if you couldn’t live in your home due to the disrepair or were able to use certain areas of your home.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here